1. The man you have to initially blame/thank for the unstoppable rise of Derren Brown is Jerry Sadowitz. They first met in a magic shop in London and after swapping tricks soon became pals, with Sadowitz helping Brown get his first lecture gig for magicians and recommending him to production companies.
2. Brown claims to be flattered that Kenny Craig, the magic act in Little Britain (you know, â€˜look into the eyes, not around the eyesâ€™) might be based on him, considering Kenny to be better looking than himself.
3. He studied law and German at Bristol University, where he first took to the stage as â€˜Darren V Brownâ€™. V is for Victor.
4. Fellow magician Andy Nyman has been his working partner for several years, having co-created the likes of Russian Roulette and Seance. You may have seen Nyman being disembowelled and decapitated during Charlie Brookerâ€™s Dead Set, while playing the outspoken telly producer Patrick.
5. Although thereâ€™s never any question that his helpers on the TV shows are not plants, he often becomes friends with those he has tortured. The guy who loaded the gun in Russian Roulette once accompanied Brown to a screening of Team America to the suspicion of many onlookers.
Published today on The List